Public comment on fishing regulations sought
News from Montana Fish, Wilife and Parks
KALISPELL — Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Region 1, will host a public open house to provide information on 2016 -19 fishing regulations and gather ideas from the public.
Every four years, FWP does a comprehensive review of Montana’s fishing regulations. This public scoping is part of the process. The open houses are is scheduled as follows:
• Kalispell: Thursday, May 7, 6-8 p.m., FWP Headquarters at 490 North Meridian Road.
• Thompson Falls: Tuesday, May 12, 6-8 p.m., Thompson Falls Fire Hall.
• Libby, Wednesday, May 13, from 6-8 p.m. in the Ponderosa Room at City Hall.
Anglers are invited to provide ideas and review potential changes identified by FWP on fishing regulations for the 2016-19 period.
Proposals that would apply to Flathead Lake and Flathead River include:
• Increasing the lake trout standard harvest limit
• Changing Cutthroat Trout standard harvest limit to include some fish larger than 10 inches
• Changing cutthroat trout regulations in the Flathead River sloughs to agree with those in the Flathead River
• Changing bass regulations in the Flathead River to match more restrictive regulations in Flathead River Sloughs
• Applying size limits on yellow perch in Flathead Lake, Smith Lake, and Lower Stillwater Lake
• Bringing Lake Mary Ronan fishing closures into agreement with other region lakes
The information brochure and comment box on proposed fishing regulations can be viewed on the FWP website at: http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/publicComments/2015/2016_19fishingRegs.html. Anglers can comment online or attend the open house and submit written comments there.
For questions, contact Region One Fisheries Program Manager Mark Deleray at (406) 751-4585.