Stage 2 fire restrictions in effect
Pursuant to authority established in 25 CFR 163.28, the Hell Gate Treaty, the CS&KT Tribal Constitution, and the Tribal Forest Products Harvesting Ordinance 61 C; the following acts are prohibited on all Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribe, tribe trust and tribal fee lands within the exterior boundaries of the Flathead Indian Reservation. The restrictions are effective starting 1 a.m. Thursday, July 27.
The following acts are prohibited until further notice:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a campfire.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
3. The following acts are prohibited from 1 p.m. to 1 a.m.
a. Operating any internal combustion engine.
b. Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
c. Using an explosive
A patrol is required for two hours following cessation of all work as described above.
4. Operating motorized vehicles off designed roads and trails
Stage 2 Exemptions
1. Persons with written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
2. Persons using a fire fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device
3. Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
4. Any Federal, State, or local officer, member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
5. 5. Other exemptions unique to each agency/tribe (i.e cultural fires, tanning, sweats and etc.)
6. 6. All within a city boundary is exempted
An exemption does not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by exempted activity.