Mission Valley, Jocko museum news announced
News from the Mission Valley Museum Consortium
St. Ignatius Mission Church
St. Ignatius Mission Church is conducting the initial planning phase for the repairs of frescos and murals in the front of the historic church that were damaged when a 100 year old support beam cracked. Hopefully actual restoration work will begin later this summer. During repairs, St. Ignatius Church will remain open for visitors daily from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and will be open until 7 p.m. after Memorial Day.
Ninepipes Museum of Early Montana
The “First Saturday” art exhibit at Ninepipes Museum takes place on Saturday, May 5, and features Ronan Schools’ art teacher, Barnaby Smith, and his first-through-fourth graders and their painted clay tiles. Other art media from Smith’s adult art classes will also be on view. A reception and meet-and-greet with Smith will take place that day from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
The Fort Connah Restoration Society will host their annual Spring Open House Rendezvous, which depicts life during the fur trading era of Montana, from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 5, and from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Sunday, May 6. This is a great opportunity to see the 1847 historic Hudson’s Bay Fort Connah Trading Post come to life. This event is free to the public. Fort Connah is located 6 miles north of St. Ignatius at mile marker 39 on Highway 93. For general information and trader/demonstrator set-ups, call Al Williams at 406-546-5067.
Garden of the Rockies Museum
New: We are in the process of reorganizing displays of local pioneer memorabilia. The Ronan High School shop class is building shelving so that the tool shed can be completed. The museum will open on Memorial Day and The Chamber of Commerce will visit the museum on May 10.
The People’s Center and Museum
New: In May we will begin selling home-made fry bread every Friday. In addition, The People’s Center is looking forward to new education programs and activities with the hiring of our new Education Coordinator, Jordan Stasso. He began work here April 24. Currently our museum is undergoing renovations of exhibits. The “Save Our Sisters-MMIW” exhibit is also being updated - come see it in our education room. We continue our weekly “Traditional Arts Circle” every Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. to bead, sew, construct and learn from others or share what you know how to do. The Arts Circle is open to everyone. Call 406-675-0160 for more information.
Miracle of America Museum
We just finished putting 51 photos on display in our Pearl Harbor exhibit. Many of these show the horrific and unbelievable damage done to our ships during the Dec. 7, 1941 attack. The photos were not originally intended for public viewing, but rather for the war department to correctly assess the damage so they could decide whether to rebuild or scuttle specific ships. The antique gunsmithing shop is nearing completion and open to the public. We will have another free “hammer in” at the museum blacksmith shop on May 5.
Polson Flathead Historical Museum
Our new opening date is May 15 so mark your calendars. New exhibits at the museum include the photographic equipment used by Herman Schnitzmeyer in the early 1900s and a 1930-1940 film projector and film winder we’ve received from the Showboat Cinema. In addition, we have a beautifully framed Montana Centennial Poster and many “wooden nickels” plus a gorgeous “Quigley Coin” from the Centennial held in 1964.
See us on TV: At 7 p.m. on May 3, The Travel Channel’s “Mysteries at the Museum” program will have a segment on the Polson Flathead Historical Museum.