Local museums share event information, hours
News from the Mission Valley Museum Consortium
St. Ignatius Mission Church
Summer visiting hours for St. Ignatius Mission Church begin Memorial Day weekend. Visitors are welcome to visit from 9 a.m.-7 p.m. daily. Visitors may also explore The Sisters of Providence cabin built in 1864, as well as the original Jesuit cabin built in 1854.
The Church is known for its 58 murals which were painted by Brother Carignano, the Jesuit Mission cook. The murals painted from 1904-1905 were damaged when a 100-year-old support beam cracked. Restoration of the murals began in the summer of 2018. The Blessed Virgin Mary mural and the St. Joseph mural have been restored. This summer work will resume with restoration of the three murals located behind the main altar called the triptych.
The sacred musical work “Lamb of God” by Rob Garner was performed on three evenings last month at the Mission Church as a fundraiser for the restoration and preservation of the murals. The sacred music resounding in the Church served to enrich our reflections on the scriptural stories portrayed in the murals. Performances in Missoula and Ronan also benefited the Mission Preservation Fund.
A visitor exclaimed, “Amazing! Historic! Little known Montana secret.”
The Fort Connah Restoration Society will host their annual Spring Open House Rendezvous, which depicts life during the fur trading era of Montana. This is a great opportunity to see the 1847 historic Hudson’s Bay Fort Connah Trading Post come to life. This event is free to the public and takes place on Saturday, May 4, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and on Sunday, May 5, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Fort Connah is located six miles north of St. Ignatius at mile marker 39 on Highway 93. For general information and trader/demonstrator set-ups call Al Williams at 406-546-5067.
Four Winds Indian Trading Post
Come visit the historic Four Winds Indian Trading Post in the original log building that was built in the 1870s by Duncan McDonald, the son of Angus McDonald, the famous Hudson’s Bay Company fur trader. Shop our large selection of beads, beadwork, craft supplies, moccasins, herbs, Native American books, CDs and artifacts. Located 3 miles north of St. Ignatius on Highway 93, we are open daily from 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
Ninepipes Museum of Early Montana
Ninepipes Museum opened its doors for the 2019 season on March 1.
Ninepipes Museum offers a new exhibit starting May 4: “Cakarpeknaki: With Respect and Without Waste,” a collection of meticulously carved artwork from walrus tusk, fossilized mammoth, and whale bone and teeth.
Our May “First Saturday” artist is James Redfox from Browning who will exhibit his ledger and beadwork art. Stop by from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, to visit with James.
We have new Jan Kauffman pine-needle basket designs for sale in the gift shop.
The museum and gift shop are open Mondays through Saturdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Call 406-644-3435 to schedule a group or school tour.
Garden of the Rockies Museum
The museum will open for the season on Memorial Day and will be open on weekdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. through August. Weekend tours can be arranged by calling 406-676-3261. Plan now to visit us this summer and bring your family or out-of-town guests.
We are a work-in-progress, and our focus this spring will be on grounds keeping and improvements to the tool and machine sheds. Volunteers are always needed and would be greatly appreciated. Anyone interested is asked to call 406-676-3261.
The People’s Center & Museum
There is a new exhibit in the museum featuring the original vests of Sub-Chief Arlee and Martin Charlo, recently donated to CSKT. Our gift shop continues receiving new items for sale; stop in and check them out. We continue our weekly “Traditional Arts Circle” every Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. to bead, sew, construct and learn from others or share what you know how to do. This weekly event is open to everyone. Watch our Facebook and web pages for upcoming education activities held every second and fourth Wednesday evening. Call 406-675-0160 for more information or to book a tour or activity.
Polson Flathead Lake Museum
(formerly Polson Flathead Historical Museum)
We open on May 15 and run through Sept. 16 with hours Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday 1-4 p.m. With our new name comes a renewed focus on the many exhibits in the museum that highlight life on Flathead Lake from the late 1800s through the 1970s. Exhibits include a 1940s sailboat, Copper Cup Regatta hydroplane race memorabilia, many photos of boating and transportation of people, freight, timber, etc. from those long ago days, and our “Flathead Lake Monster.” We share examples of the everyday lives of those who homesteaded on the Flathead Indian Reservation with displays of the Allard stagecoach, wagons, buggies, farm implements, and household items, as well as the home interior and items commonly used by those early-day pioneers in the Mission Valley. Guided lecture tours are available by calling 406-249-7641. The museum is also available for reunions, wedding receptions and other small gatherings.