Valley Journal
Valley Journal

This Week’s e-Edition

Current Events

Latest Headlines

What's New?

Send us your news items.

NOTE: All submissions are subject to our Submission Guidelines.

Announcement Forms

Use these forms to send us announcements.

Birth Announcement

Bear resistant garbage cans available to households

Hey savvy news reader! Thanks for choosing local. You are now reading
1 of 3 free articles.

Subscribe now to stay in the know!

Already a subscriber? Login now

News from CSKT

FLATHEAD RESERVATION – If you live in bear habitat within the Mission Valley and self-haul your garbage, the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes’ Wildlife Management Program has a limited number of 65-gallon bear-resistant Kodiak garbage cans available.  

There is a donation fee of $15, which can be paid via check made out to CSKT (no cash please). The money collected will go into an account to purchase additional cans. There is a limit of one Kodiak can per household.

To sign up and receive a Kodiak can, please visit the Natural Resources, Department of Fish, Wildlife, Recreation and Conservation permit office at 406 6th Ave. E. in Polson. Participants will be asked to sign a contract with the CSKT Wildlife Management Program, agreeing to the terms and conditions associated with the proper usage and function of the Kodiak can. 

Residents must self-haul garbage to a depository station on a regular basis to ensure that the can does not overfill, and the lid must remain closed and latched properly at all times. Should any damage alter the function of the can, the Wildlife Management Program must be contacted immediately for maintenance/repairs. Should the Kodiak can need to be replaced, the $15 fee will be reapplied.     

This program is in partnership with the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Blackfoot Challenge and other agencies and stakeholder groups within western Montana. For questions about Kodiak bear-resistant garbage cans and availability, contact at the Natural Resources Department Division of Fish, Wildlife, Recreation and Conservation permit office at 406-883-2888, ext. 7200.   

Sponsored by: