Commissioners approve trail plans
POLSON — The Polson City Commission Chamber was chock full of Boy Scouts and Scoutmasters at the 7 p.m. meeting on May 17. The Boy Scouts were lending support to fellow Scout Clay Frissell when he asked the commissioners for permission to develop trails at Travis Dolphin Dog Park. These trails will be Frissell’s Eagle Scout Project. Frissell brought plans for the wheelchair accessible trails that will conform to the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Polson Park Board previously approved the trail plans, and the commissioners also unanimously approved the trails.
The commissioners also agreed to waive $2,500 in impact fees for Gary Kapp on La Vista Drive. In return Kapp will give the city two easements, sewer and pathway. Kapp will retain the property, but the city will put in two posts and a breakaway chain across the pathway and remove the dirt.
During City Manager comments, Todd Crossett reported on the following:
• For the TIGER Grant, Crossett, county and tribal officials interviewed four firms on the Montana Department of Transportation short list. The two finalists will return for a second interview on May 19.
• The Streetscape package is at MDOT waiting for the sign off, which might be the end of this week or the end of next week.
• The second medical marijuana meeting was held on May 7. Committee members will take the info and include it in their recommendations to Joyce Weaver.
• A water line break at 22nd Ave. W. last week, which is the second one in a month or so.
• Crossett is preparing for budget and performance reviews and has reworked the review format so it is more detailed.
• Commissioner Funke asked for a quarterly or monthly update on police and fire calls.
• The Fire Stakeholders meeting will be held on May 19 at 7 p.m. at the Fairgrounds Fire Station.
In other business, the commissioners approved:
• Appointing Cindy Templer as Ward 3 golf board member
• Authorized Crossett to execute a release to the city’s insurance carrier
• Authorized Crossett to execute the airport use permit
• Authorized a portion of the purchase price for tax increment software
The next meeting will be held on June 7 at 7 p.m.