Valley Journal
Valley Journal

Latest Headlines

Current Events

Special Sections

What's New?

Send us your news items.

NOTE: All submissions are subject to our Submission Guidelines.

Announcement Forms

Use these forms to send us announcements.

Birth Announcement

Information about the People’s Compact shared

Hey savvy news reader! Thanks for choosing local. You are now reading
1 of 3 free articles.

Subscribe now to stay in the know!

Already a subscriber? Login now


A solution to the old Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes’ Water Compact, AKA “the government’s compact,” was recently introduced at Leon Hall in Charlo. It is a solution widely accepted by the 100-plus participants who listened to the credible panel of current Montana legislators.

The solution is an alternative to the old CSKT Water Compact, essentially a new compact called the People’s Compact.

It is a solution that offers a final settlement to the only remaining Court of Federal Claims grievance filed by CSKT in 1951 regarding their federal reserved water rights, and a solution that follows all past Court of Federal Claims settlement procedures. A settlement procedure awarding an 85 percent per capita payment directly to all actively enrolled CSKT tribal members with the remaining 15 percent being awarded to the CSKT Corporation.

In addition, it is a solution garnering $200 million from the Bureau of Reclamation to rehabilitate the Flathead Indian Irrigation Project. The solution mirrors the template of all previously settled Montana State and tribal compacts. It is a lawful solution, a solution within the jurisdiction of Congress and a solution that does not require state approval prior to congressional ratification.

Be part of the solution and enthusiastically read for yourself at https://thepeoplescompact.

David Passieri
St. Ignatius


Sponsored by: