Valley Journal
Valley Journal

This Week’s e-Edition

Current Events

Latest Headlines

What's New?

Send us your news items.

NOTE: All submissions are subject to our Submission Guidelines.

Announcement Forms

Use these forms to send us announcements.

Birth Announcement

Agency assists seniors, saves them money

Hey savvy news reader! Thanks for choosing local. You are now reading
1 of 3 free articles.

Subscribe now to stay in the know!

Already a subscriber? Login now

News from the Area VI Agency on Aging

POLSON — The 2018 Medicare open enrollment period was busy as usual. This year we were able to serve a little over 300 clients from our Polson office and we were able to save folks approximately $246,000 for 2019 by helping them compare the 2019 plans and find the most economical plans to meet their needs. We also helped folks in Lincoln, Mineral, and Sanders counties through our Ship Counselors in those areas. Thanks to all of you for your patience, your donations, and we especially thank retired volunteers Connie Bauer and Joyce Schmitz  for keeping us all sane by answering the phone and scheduling appointments. See you next year.

As we enter tax season we want to be sure you are aware of a couple of tax programs that can save you money:

The Property Tax Assistance Program will reduce your tax obligation if you meet the following income guidelines: $22,771 or less for a single person or $30,281 or less for a married couple. The home or mobile home must be owned or under contract, and the owner must have lived there for at least seven months of the tax year.

The Elderly Home Owner/Renter Credit (2EC) is available for Montana residents who either own or rent a residence they occupy in Montana and have done so for at least six months, have been a Montana resident for at least nine months of the year, and have less than $45,000 in gross household income. A cash refund is determined based on the ratio between your income and what you have to pay in rent or taxes.

Income limits listed are shown on the Dept. of Revenue website:

We can help with applications or information for these programs, call 1-800-266-4188 or 883-7284 or go to any Montana Department of Revenue location or call the Helena office at 1-866-859-2254. 

Applications for the property tax relief assistance programs must be submitted by April 15. Applications for Elderly Home Owner/Renter Credit can be submitted throughout the year.


Sponsored by: