Valley Journal
Valley Journal

Latest Headlines

Current Events

Special Sections

What's New?

Send us your news items.

NOTE: All submissions are subject to our Submission Guidelines.

Announcement Forms

Use these forms to send us announcements.

Birth Announcement
Obituary

Structure fire guts Rocky Point home interior

Hey savvy news reader! Thanks for choosing local. You are now reading
1 of 3 free articles.



Subscribe now to stay in the know!

Already a subscriber? Login now

POLSON — A house fire at the Shipley residence off Rocky Point Road on Sept. 7 gutted the kitchen and bathroom area, according to Karen Sargeant, Polson Fire Department Public Information Officer. 

The fire started at between 7:30 and 8 p.m. and did approximately $200,000 in damage to the property and $50,000 to the contents of the log home.

Cause of the fire was a pot left on the stove, Sargeant said. On the stove’s back burner, the pot smoldered and then flames spread to the cabinets, causing them to burn. 

The fire was discovered quickly, and automatic mutual aid with Finley Point and Ronan Fire Departments kicked into gear.

Seven firefighting vehicles were at the fire, including tenders, which was good, Sargeant said, because there were no fire hydrants in the area.  

Firefighters mopped up until 11:30 p.m. using the thermal imaging camera to pinpoint hot spots, Sargeant said. As usual, the fire departments worked well together, and Polson firefighters appreciated the help, according to Sargeant.

Sponsored by: